How to train in Pokemon Go – Pokemon Gyms, and more
Training is a fairly ambiguous term in Pokemon Go. Fans of the franchise equate training to making Pokemon stronger. However, in Pokemon Go, the only thing you can train on is a Gym. Since the term is so ambiguous, we’ll briefly cover how to train in Pokemon Go and how to train on a Gym in this tutorial.
- If you’re new to Pokemon Go, we recommend checking out our beginner’s guide to Pokemon Go!
How to train on Gyms in Pokemon Go
The main form of training in Pokemon Go takes place at Gyms. Here’s how it works:
- The first step is finding a gym. You cannot train on Gyms that don’t belong to your team. You’ll need to take down an enemy Gym or find a Gym that’s controlled by your team.
- Once you’re at the requisite Gym, open up the menu to see what that Gym has on it.
- Each gym has a stat called Prestige. Prestige is essentially how many experience points a Gym has. A max level 10 Gym will have 50,000 Prestige.
- If the Gym has less than 10 levels, you can train on it. Simply tap the button in the bottom right corner, select your team, and head to battle.
- Do battle with the Pokemon on the Gym. Here is a short tutorial on how battling works in Pokemon Go.
- A pop up window appears at the end of the battle. It will show how much XP and Prestige you’ve earned.
- Repeat this process until you’ve earned all the XP and Prestige that you want.
- A quick tip is that you’ll gain more XP and Prestige if the Pokemon you’re battling is of higher CP than the Pokemon you’re battling with. Thus, if you see a 1000CP Pokemon on a Gym, you will get more XP and Prestige for knocking it out with a 900CP Pokemon than you will with a 1200CP Pokemon.
This is a great way to earn yourself some XP. It will also buff up the Gym to make it more difficult to take for players of the opposing team. Don’t forget to add more Pokemon to the Gym when it levels up! Here is a more in-depth guide on how to defeat and level up on Gyms!
How to train in Pokemon Go
Training Pokemon isn’t nearly as fun as it is in the canon Pokemon games. They don’t gain XP by battling so you won’t be doing it that way. Here’s how you train Pokemon in Pokemon Go:
- Whenever you catch Pokemon, you’ll receive some Stardust. Typically, you get about 100 Stardust per capture.
- You can also accrue Stardust by hatching Pokemon as well as by cashing out your Gyms at the end of every day. We outline this in detail in our tutorial on how to get free Pokecoins!
- Find the Pokemon you want to level up in your inventory.
- Click the “Power Up” button. Some of your Stardust will be used and your Pokemon will gain a level.
- Repeat this process until your Pokemon are at max level. Here is a more in-depth tutorial on how all of this works.
It’s extraordinarily simple and we wish that Niantic had included some other ways to level up your Pokemon. Nevertheless, this is the only method to train your Pokemon for now. For now, these are about the only two instances where training is used in Pokemon Go. It’s a fairly simple endeavor and you should have no problems figuring out the nuances of the practice once you get started.
Feel free to leave a comment if there are any tips or tricks that we may have missed! Also, click here for the latest Pokemon Go news!